Where are you?!

Hi all. One thing that I like about this group is the mix of people from different countries. It’s great to have an insight into the lifestyles and growing habits of those in different nations. I’d be interested in knowing where everyone is from, how many people we have from each country, and what the growing climate where you are is like.

Is anyone good at graphs? I love looking at a good graph! :nerd_face::face_with_monocle:

Here’s my info:

I’m on the South Coast of England (Hampshire). It’s generally warm and sunny in my back yard all summer (maybe 15-25° on average) with random and sporadic (but not huge amounts of) rainfall. Don’t get much frost in the winter as I’m right by the sea and I think the salt air has an effect. It’s rare to get snow here (:cry: I love snow!) Also we have a bit of a pleasant microclimate in this area as we are protected from the worst of the weather by the Isle of Wight and bits of the South Downs.

Anyone else?

2 Likes

I’m fron the South of Germany. We have quite distinct seasons with temperatures between 35°C in Summer and -10°C in Winter.
Normally stable weather periods (the same weather for more than two weeks) are rare, but with the climate change it’s becoming more and more unpredictable…

1 Like

I am in the southwest of Scotland. As I am in the path of the Solway Firth it is always very windy. Over the last week it has been raining a lot while in the south of England it was sunny. Since I live inScotland (2005) it has been less cold and less snow every winter. It also has been much warmer in the summer. Last year we had weeks of hot weather which was unusual. The last frost day is 2nd week of May, but I was way to early with all my starts so I had to protect them. But the wind is more of a problem. My sunflowers are blown away and last year my runners beans had wind burn and the frame broke.

3 Likes

I am in Newcastle in the North of England, south of @eefcawdor28 in Scotland and 300 miles north of @clack.

It is noticeably cooler here than in London where I used to live - chillies and aubergines are pretty marginal outside (they used to do fine in London). And the season is a fair bit shorter here. At this time of year we do have very long days - so I try to have most things sown and ready to go by now so that they can take advantage of the long days.

Like @eefcawdor28, wind is also a problem and winter growing is much more difficult here as a result (the wind is a bigger problem than the temperatures).

BTW in your profile, you can add in the city / country where you live. It is great if you can do this as it really helps to know where people are. There is also a plugin that we could add one day that plots all members on a map (I’m not sure how user friendly it is at the moment so probably best to wait for a bit).

2 Likes

oooh that plugin sounds like fun! :grinning:

I live in the north west of the Netherlands. The climate is similar to the climate in England. I live close to the sea which tempers the extremes of cold and hot. My balcony at the front gets a lot of south west winds. I bought a small plastic glasshouse to create a more pleasant micro-climate for my tomato and strawberry plants. I hope the glasshouse has a long life. For now it’s doing a good job. My tomato and strawberry plants (bought them at the shop) are doing fine.

2 Likes

I grow in Copenhagen, Denmark. The climate here is mild with wet, grey winters and warm’ish summers with (ususally) plenty of rain but also nice sunny days. If you can create protection from the wind and make a sheltered location up against a wall, you can grow peppers, aubergines etc. outside on a good summer here.
But here, as I guess in most places, the climate seems to be changing to a more unpredictable state these years. Last summer we had the worst drought I can ever remember and everything was scorched in the heat. The year before that was cold and rainy and the temperature barely reached 20 degrees C. It’ll be interesting what we’re in for this summer!

2 Likes

I live in St Thomas, in the Caribbean. It is tropical here. Temperatures stay around 85° F, with lovely high humidity.

2 Likes