Jerusalem artichoke recipes

I’m a huge fan of Jerusalem artichokes - and they grow surprisingly well in containers - but I struggled for a while to learn what to do with them. The simplest way is to roast them in their skins until they become sweet, nutty and delicious (I rarely bother to peel them now). Another simple way is to boil and mash them with potatoes and garlic (I add 30 - 50% artichokes) and bit of butter - delicious comfort food for a cold evening.

If I’ve got a bit more time then this chicken and artichoke recipe from Ottolenghi’s Jerusalem cookbook is excellent. No need to add the tarragon if you haven’t got any, but the red peppercorns really do make a difference if you can find some.

Or I make this really delicious Ottolenghi artichoke soup (recipe towards the bottom of the page). The spinach pesto to go with it really makes it very special - but the soup still tastes great without it.

1 Like

Thanks Mark, both those recipes sound delicious.

I have also struggled with getting ideas of how to use the wealth of jerusalem artichokes that the previous tenant has left in my allotment.

Two favorite uses are now

1. raw as a salad, simply grated together with carrots, apples and beetroot, and
  2. on pizza! Instead of adding the traditional layer of pizzasauce, simply spread a thin layer of olive oil on the dough, add a layer of finely sliced jerusalem artichoke, red onion an goats cheese. Top with salt, pepper and finely grated parmesan. Bake as usual - delicious :slight_smile:
1 Like

You can also use them as a pasta sauce. In this USA recipie they are called Sun-chokes!

When I have too many I freeze them either peeled and part boiled of just whole. Freeze them on a silicone sheet before putting into bags so you can take out the number you need for your dish. They defrost enough to peel and cut quite quickly. Then add to soups or stews as normal.

1 Like