Grow together - lemon grass

Lemon grass is quite easy to grow from the stalks sold in supermarkets or grocers. You want it as fresh as you can find it. I’ve only got some rather old lemon grass to hand -so it probably won’t work. But until I find some better stuff, I’ll give it a go.

IMG_7323

IMG_7324

The other secret I find is to put the pot somewhere it will get constant warmth underneath - a propagator is ideal if you have one.

There are some detailed tips and a video (with professional grower, Sally Cunningham) on the VV website:

I’ll keep you update on how / if mine grows!!

ha ha - ‘if’ :heart_eyes:

Very interesting. I already bought seeds of East Indian lemon grass. I’m going to sow them when it’s warmer.

Let us know how yours do - it will be interesting to compare. (I’m not very confident about my current ones - but will look out for some healthier looking stalks!).

I tried this when Sally’s video was first published two years ago.
No success :frowning:
Might have been my “stock” stems being older than ideal, and I didn’t use bottom heat…
I’ll watch the video again in case Sally gives any tips about selecting viable stems that I misse dfirst time around…

Fresh stems and bottom heat are the two things I’ve found make most difference (in my limited experience of growing it). It’s definitely worth another go - very rewarding when you see the stem growing new leaf!

I think I like to try it also! Had a lemon grass plant a few years (and flats) ago and it grew very well at the living room window.
Have to remember to look for lemon grass at my next run to the whole food shop. Hopefully they have fresh stems!

1 Like

I have succeeded growing lemon grass as above with about 60% success rate, so grow several stems. I read somewhere that you need to scratch the bottom of the stems with a knife a bit.
judith

1 Like

Back up… as my first batch looked rather old and sad, I planted another couple of fresher looking ones last week (at the back - at least they looked fresher when I planted them!). Keeping fingers crossed one or two will work…

Today I went to the garden centre with a bunch of workmates - and I bought a lemon grass plant. It’s not the same excitement as breeding one from a stalk, but I just couldn’t resist. :slight_smile:

I’m still curious how it will develop.

1 Like

The lemon grass at the back (the second, fresher batch I planted) have distinctive looking green shoots coming from the top. This is a good sign! The first lot still show little sign of growth.

I’ve managed to get roots and shoots before just by popping it in a glass with a little water in the bottom but didn’t know what to do after that! Would love to grow some :grin:

Exciting! ALL four lemon grass stalks (even the two unpromising ones) are producing signs of new leaves. This is not yet a guarantee of success but is definitely looking promising…

Here’s what I’ve got so far, although I managed to get leaf growth once before with not much root action. I’ve got them on the heater this time though so fingers crossed!

That’s looking pretty encouraging to me! Particularly the first picture.

I just stuck the lemon grass stalk in compost last autumn and left it in an unheated greenhouse and forgot about it. When I next though about it when we had the warm spring, it was a beautiful plant. Not only growth of the original stems, but extra shoots a few inches away in the same pot. Maybe sometimes less is more - leave them to get on with it! Lemon grass seed has to be planted in the autumn, I am told.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a great story! Where do you live? Do you know how cold it was in your greenhouse?

1 Like

A picture of my east Indian lemongrass. I have sown them on the 11th of may.

They are on my balcony at the north east side. They get sun from about an hour after sunrise to about 13:30.

2 Likes

Yay! They have germinated! That is sometimes the hardest thing growing herbs from seed. Congratulations.

1 Like

We grow a lot of lemongrass. You don’t need to trim the pieces so much, since they are a bit stressed from being cut for so long. I’m finding that they ‘catch’ quicker with bigger snipa. Oh, and they like to stay moist, maybe place them in a bag, and they do like warmth. This is where nice concrete slabs could come in handy…