Fresh grown cherry tomatoes instead of tinned tomatoes question

Hello all!

I have a monster glut of delicious cherry tomatoes this year (all from one plant - I must have had 300 off it so far over the whole season!). I’d like to make a bolognese sauce and I have a recipe but it calls for a standard tin of plum tomatoes.

My question is, how many of my cherry tomatoes would constitute a tin’s worth? Should I go by like-for-like weight?

And should I remove the core and seeds? - I think I need to keep the juice.

What about adding tomato puree?

Never made sauce with fresh tomatoes before! :thinking:

Thanks in advance :upside_down_face::tomato:

You are in for a treat! Tomato sauce with home grown tomatoes is especially delicious. It’s one of the things I miss most at the end of the growing season.

I’m never too precise about weights - but I’d use the approximate weight of a tin of tomatoes… a few less or more probably won’t matter too much. I never bother removing the skins or seeds even when recipes call for it. I do sometimes add a tablespoon two more tomato puree to help thicken the sauce.

I hope you enjoy it!

1 Like

I’m cooking right now! Smells delicious and I will definitely add a bit of tomato puree as it is looking a bit thin. Thanks Mark :blush:

I too am to lazy to remove the skin and seeds.
If it’s too thin give it more time. It really tastes better if you let it simmer (for hours) …

2 Likes