Courgette / zucchini / marrow recipes

Courgettes do well in a (largish) container so I thought I’d share one of my favourite recipes for them.

It’s an interesting one as it’s an Indian curry with French influence (from Pondicherry). As well as Indian spices, it uses rosemary, thyme and basil - all of which are also easy to grow in containers. (Since trying it I’ve tried adding these herbs to other curries - and they can work surprisingly well).

The recipe is from Rick Stein’s book, “India”. I’m sure you could miss out one or two of the herbs if you don’t have them all - but do try and find the preserved lemon if you can (or you can make your own).

• Olive oil

• 5 shallots (an onion will do)

• 4 cloves garlic

• 4cm root ginger

• 1 medium courgette (that’s the ‘official’ amount - I usually add 2 or 3 as we like lots of veg in our meal).

• 250g large raw peeled prawns

• 30g pickled or preserved lemon

• 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves

• 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (chopped)

• 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder [this is a mild chilli with a nice flavour - be careful using bog standard chilli powder, it is all heat and not much flavour. I’d sub a some nice dried chilli instead if you don’t have Kashmiri or similar]

• 1/2 teaspoon garam masala

• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

• 1 teaspoon salt [but taste first as the pickled lemon is often very salty and I’ve ruined this dish with too much salt]

• Small handful each of fresh coriander, curry leaves and basil leaves. (I often get my curry leaves direct from this seller on Ebay)

Gently fry the shallots, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes until soft. Increase heat and add the prawns, courgettes and pickled lemon. Fry for 1 - 2 minutes, then the thyme, rosemary, chilli powder, garam masala, black pepper and salt and fry for a further 2 - 3 minutes, stirring often - until prawns are pink and cooked through.

Stir through the coriander, curry and basil leaves and serve.

IMG_5952

I’d love to hear your favourite ways of using courgettes.

6 Likes

That sounds delicious! I think you left out the quantity of prawns to use. (I’ll be leaving them out myself, as I don’t eat them, but others will want to know.) A very good use of courgettes!

2 Likes

Well spotted Rachel, detail is not my strong point! I’ll check the recipe this evening and add the correct quantities. I think it should still be very tasty without prawns, if you try it, would love to hear.

1 Like

Roasted baby courgettes, garlic and tomato

This is a simple, ‘bung it in’, type recipe that is quick and popular in this household. It has similar ingredients to ratatouille and is a nice alternative - it’s a lovely way to cook baby courgettes, heaven for any garlic lover, and tastes of summer.

It’s adapted from Sabrina Ghayour’s book, Persiana.

• 12 oz (350g) baby courgettes / zucchini
  • 1/2 garlic bulb, cloves peeled and thinly sliced
  • 8oz (250g) cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • olive oil, salt and pepper.

Bung all the above in a roasting pan, and roast at 200 degrees C for about 15 minutes.

IMG_6057

5 Likes

How about baking with courgettes?
Courgette Loaf

• 200g plain floor
  • 200g castor sugar
  • 80g cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons melted butter (vegetable oil if vegan)
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar (white wine, malt or apple cider)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 250ml milk (soy, almond or other milk or water if vegan)
  • 150g raw grated courgette

Put all the dry ingredients in a big bowl. Stir to combine. Mix the wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add the grated courgette, mix.
Grease a loaf tin and dust it with flour.
Transfer the batter into the tin and bake in an 180°C oven for 40 to 45 minutes.

5 Likes

Simplest and tastiest courgette recipe ever!:

• Last night I sliced some of my courgettes in long diagonals,
  • Brushed them both sides with olive oil and seasoned with salt and lots of black
    pepper
  • Then chargrilled them on the barbecue.

Oh. My. Delicious isn’t the word! I will be doing this A LOT in the future :star_struck:

5 Likes

Just made your loaf Fen. Here’s the lucky courgettte…
IMG_2535

And the result:

IMG_0294

It’s still warm but I couldn’t resist a slice - moist, chocolatey and very good. I’ll feed to kids later and take into office tomorrow!

I’m tempted to make it again and play around with this… add chilli, perhaps? Or rosemary? Or orange and cardamon?

Thanks v much for sharing! It’s good to have another way to eat the courgette glut!

UPDATE: once cooled, second piece was even more delicious, so moist and yummy.

BTW I added 250g courgette (not 150g) as that was the size of the one I picked and I didn’t want to waste it. Also we didn’t have any plain flour so I used a mix of rye, spelt and self raising!!

4 Likes

I’ll definitely try it when the glut comes! :slight_smile:

Marrow Masala Recipe

I confess my heart used to sink when I unwittingly grew a marrow… Until we tried this wonderful recipe by Simon Hopkinson in the Guardian

It transforms the humble, maligned marrow into something quite delicious. In fact it is so good I now have to grow, on purpose, at least one marrow each season!

The masala paste is not difficult but a bit of a faff to make (it keeps for weeks in the fridge) - but other than that it is easy. (And one batch of paste will do the recipe several times over - I often give dollops of it away to friends I know who have marrows to deal with).

The recipe is the third one down…

3 Likes

Thanks, Mark: that looks like an interesting recipe. :slight_smile:

Looks Good. No marrows but I am sure it can be used for other veg/fruits that are a bit on the bland side.

1 Like

This is for using trombas in the winter. Having a cold and wanting something quick, light, juicy but also warming, I concocted the following, which was delicious.

Quantities listed make one large portion.

2 pieces of tromba, each about 10 cm long and 6 cm wide, spiralised on a very fat noodle blade
2 fists full of winter greens from the garden - eg land cress, rocket, lamb’s lettuce, mustard, three-cornered leek… washed and chopped
2 very fat cloves of garlic, sliced
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon mustard seed
a little oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons tamari

Blanch the tromba noodles and drain.
Soften the garlic and ginger on a low flame - be careful not to to burn them. Add the mustard seeds, and when they start popping, stir in the blanched noodles, then the rest of the ingredients. Mix and serve immediately.

2 Likes

Last summer when we grew our courgette I was very boring and just used the side of our grater to slice it very finely for salad. I loathe cucumber and found it a huge improvement! Courgette cake was also good - looking forward to trying your recipes.

1 Like

Nice recipes, I will definitely try to make one with the prawns, they are my favorite. I like to make toasts with the healthy zucchini bread and some eggs or salmon, yammy

1 Like

My favourite zucchini recipe:

Zucchini with red Pesto and Pasta

Cook your favourite pasta and mix it with red pesto.
In the meantime slice middle or two small zucchini an stir-fry them until they are brown but not jet mushy. Let them cool down and add chopped garlic and chilli to taste. Let it fry a bit, then ad a big splash of lemon juice and a hand full of chopped basil leaves.
Mix with the pasta and serve with Parmesan cheese.

1 Like

Thanks Claudia and Alexandra, we have a fair few zucchini at the moment so I will look more at these.

The courgette recipe we are loving at the moment is courgette kofta in tomato sauce. I’ve been intrigued how well the kofta bind together without any egg.

This makes a superb vegan dish if you sub the honey for a teaspoon or two of brown sugar. I also use homegrown tomatoes and blitz them instead of passata.

Oh, thanks this looks very interesting too!

Could you clarify something for me? (English is not my native language)
Whats the difference between zucchini and courgette? I know that marrow is more pumpkin-ish (some sort of cross between zucchini and pumpkin)… but courgette baffles me.
Also whats a squash? :confused:

In German we just have Zucchini and Kürbis (pumpkin)…

Ha, ha, it is confusing as actually they are the same. In the UK they are called courgettes and in the US zucchini. Zucchini is also the Italian name, I think - but someone will correct me if I’m wrong, I’m sure. There are a few vegetables we call different names each side of the Atlantic - another one is spring onions that are called scallions in the US.

Huh. Should have thought it would be something like this. Thanks for explaning!

We have similar confusing terms in German vs. Austrian German/the Bavarian Dialect, like
Blumenkohl vs. Karfiol - cauliflower or
Pilze vs. Schwammerl - mushrooms
Sellerie vs. Zeller - celery
… I could go on …

Sounds fantastic, Mark. We appear to be stockpiling cougettes although it isn’t intentional - must try your recipe. :slight_smile: