Chilean guava - a fruit for late autumn

We love our fruit in containers - and try to have some fruit or other ready to eat most of the growing season. A good one we’ve found for late autumn is the Chilean Guava. I’ve already picked over a pound (500g) off one plant this month (November). They are small tasty berries and a small amount goes a long way.

Does anyone else grow these? Or does anyone have any other plants that provide fresh fruit this late in the year?

Here is yesterday’s picking of berries… Not the most beautiful but the taste is a cross between strawberry and blueberry. We all really like them, my daughter particularly.

1 Like

I have yet to succeed with them. It’s that cold wet frost pocket thing again I think. They flower and appear to set fruit but the frost takes them before they develop. We are still picking a few raspberries every day - the variety is Autumn Bliss - and I’ve brought a couple of pots of physalis into the house. They have set but unripe fruit and flowers on the plants and from past experience we’ll be picking fresh fruits from them into January or even february. With snow forecast for the weekend the raspberries have probably finished though I’ve fleeced a couple of plants in the garden in the hope that they’ll be there for my toddler grand daughters on Friday. I’ve tried a few varieties in containers over the years and for my money Autumn Bliss outperforms all the varieties advertised as suitable for containers by a country mile in terms of both productivity and flavour. Not as big as some of the newer autumn varieties but the flavour is better and it will withstand a light frost and go one flowering and fruiting. We actually got our first frost in September this year and we are still getting the occasionally berry now.
The alpine strawberries have finally given in, but the twins managed to find a couple last week. And the first are always ripe in May.
And for those with space for it to sprawl there’s a tiny, tiny, ultra sweet cherry tomato called Coyote which will cover all the space you can give it from a twelve inch pot. Amazingly cold hardy, it is still determinedly flowering on any day with a bit of sunshine and setting and ripening the fruit. Absolutely not worth growing for cooking or even salads because it is less than a centimetre across each fruit, but the babies definitely class it as fruit. I’m going to take cuttings on the kitchen window sill - just putting them in water, and I’ll try to fruit it indoors over the winter

2 Likes

Ooh, Kathryn, those coyote tomatoes sound interesting! I don’t suppose you could be persuaded to save a few seeds for the seed swap?

I’m hoping to have a few Rachel, but unfortunately not many because mice have found out how sweet they are. They don’t seem to have any acid. I think, from what I’ve read, that they are an out-cross with another wild species. The sugar level isn’t as high as, say, Sungold, but in the absence of acid they are very sweet indeed. Underlying flavour is completely different to other tomatoes too. It’s a bit like comparing Mayan Gold with other potatoes - the different ancestry shows. And Coyote sprawls ridiculously too - even more than Principe Borghese where I’ve had a plant fill a 9 square metre bed, rooting down from time to time and taking off again. I haven’t let Coyote try that yet - I don’t think the twins would be able to keep up and eat them all. And they like several other varieties too. Even if there aren’t enough seeds for the swap I’m sure i could send you a few. I didn’t get my seeds until the June Bank Holiday but they fruited by the end of August, and since they are so tiny they ripen quickly

That would be wonderful!

And I haven’t tried Mayan Gold yet, either. I didn’t realise it was so different in flavour to other potatoes. And of course I do want to try some Chilean guavas as well (which also brings me back om topic!)

Even further OT Mayan Gold is worth growing just as a flowering plant IMHO - lots and lots of the most gorgeous purple blossoms. But also fabulous flavour and pretty yellow flesh. It’s crossed with S. phureja (spp?) rather than straight S. tuberosum

I wonder if we have a different variety. I don’t think mine flower until June or July (or do you have very late frosts?) - I’ll try and make a note next year as frost has never been a problem. And the fruits seem to survive light frost in autumn - at least they have so far.

I think it is also quite a variable plant. I bought two at the same time, looked after them the same way - and one fruits brilliantly, the other hardly at all.

I must try this! We need an autumn raspberry variety for containers at home. We currently have the purple raspberry Glen Coe which is also FANTASTIC in containers, and gives us bowls of fruit in July.

I must also try physalis again, it’s a great idea to bring them inside so you can have fruit in winter.