Beneficial insects

Hi all!

I’ve become the scourge of the back yard squishing aphids and their eggs this year. I can almost see them dashing for cover now as Godzilla :dragon_face:(me) approaches!

The only thing is, I’m worried I’ve got carried away and might also be squishing beneficial insect eggs too. I know what ladybird and lacewing larvae look like but I’ve realised I have no idea how to recognise these and other beneficial insects’ eggs. I think I may be annihilating these too during my bug apocalypse sessions.

Anyone have any pics/links to help me tell the good guys from the bad guys?

1 Like

As far as I know aphids mostly give birth to baby aphids (viviparity) and more scary they don’t need a partner to do so!
There is good deal of explanation on aphids and eggs in this link https://influentialpoints.com/aphid/Aphid-eggs_biology_morphology.htm
if I was you i wouldn’t squash eggs unless I’m 100% sure about who laid them

1 Like

this is good advice from @milupas. You are right, Emma, I do think a guide to the eggs / larvae of beneficial insects could be very useful. It might be that some are quite difficult to tell apart without magnification and skill but some basic pointers would be useful. Let’s all keep our eyes out for one and share here if we find one?

The one thing I do regularly squish in my container garden is leaf miner eggs. When you see the beginning of a leaf miner infestation, if you look on the backs of the leaves you’ll often see small white eggs. These are leaf miner eggs waiting to hatch out. Here are some eggs I found on the back of some chard…